3.15.2010

The Blueberry Pancake Shoot Out




My idea of the perfect breakfast is a stack of pancakes with hot melting butter and sweet maple syrup dripping down the edges. Throw in some juicy fresh blueberries and add some ricotta cheese and you have a perfect pancake. Slightly sweet, bursting with flavor, and light as a cloud. While nothing beats a hot fluffy pancake for breakfast, nothing is worse than going to a restaurant and ordering pancakes that taste like a thick, rubbery, bland mess. Here are a few of my favorite Blueberry Ricotta pancakes in Los Angeles.


BLD




BLD serves up a heaping stack of pancakes ($13). The serving is truly more than you could ever eat so here is a little tip: you can order just one luscious blueberry ricotta pancake, and that is precisely what I did ($6). One giant pancake later and I was bursting at the seams. The pancake at BLD is dreamy. It is golden and thick with blistering blueberries throughout. The syrup is warm and rich. Forkful after delicious forkful you will be sighing over each bite.

7450 Beverly Blvd

Los Angeles, CA 90036


Little Dom’s


These pancakes are perfection ($8). Just the right amount of pancakes that yield easily under the fork. The ricotta creates a light-as-air texture and the blueberries offer a vibrant burst of flavor. These pancakes had a nice delicately crisp and buttery exterior. While I was full after three little pancakes, they were so good I was left wanting more.

2128 Hillhurst Ave.

Los Angeles, CA 90027


The Gastrobus



For a cheap and quick breakfast I visit the Gastrobus. The Gastrobus offers a seasonal menu of market fresh ingredients. On a recent visit they featured blueberry pancakes with lemon curd($4). The pancakes were delicate and light, enlivened by the thick, puckery topping. It was the perfect balance of sweetness to acidity. The thick lemon curd was a pleasant change from the tradition maple syrup accompaniment to pancakes.

* you can follow the Gastrobus on Twitter to find their location*

20 comments:

  1. oooh the pancakes with lemon curd looks AMAZING. blueberry pancakes are my bf's favourite and they's SO grown on me too. looks yum!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the ones with lemon! They look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful review! Those pancakes look DELICIOUS! Especially the ones with lemon curd!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmmmm I'll take a gastrobus pancake. That lemon curd is calling my name!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You really like pancakes with blueberries :D More maple syrup please!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Can you believe I've never had a blueberry ricotta pancake?!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the blueberry ricotta pancakes at BLD! Haven't been there in forever! Thanks for the reminder that I need to go back. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm a big on blueberry-ricotta pancakes here too--have you had the versions at Coral Tree Cafe or La Grande Orange? I love them (as well as BLD!)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Catty- My BF loves blueberry pancakes too, i guess thats how I started to love them and I hadn't even realized :). First time I had them we made them together using BLD's recipe!

    Jessica- The lemon was such a nice compliment to the blueberry :)

    Anna- Have you tried the Gastrobus before? Really everything they offer for breakfast is amazing. They have a sweet potato hash that is out of this world!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So um...do you like blueberry ricotta pancakes?? :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. The Gastrobus does pancakes??? That is good to know.

    ReplyDelete
  12. lemon curd?? me drooling! hahah.. lemon curd on pancakes is a new favorite to me... i want to catch that gastrobus soon!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Cathy- I don't think I believe you! Really never had a blueberry ricotta pancake? Well we are going to have to change that!

    Diana- I love BLD, for breakfast lunch or dinner :) they are a little pricey but worth it.

    H.C. - I stil haven't tried LGO but I plan on going soon, i will be sure to try their blueberry ricotta pancakes! Thanks for the tip :)

    Duo Dishes- They sure do make pancakes! And they often change based on what is at the farmer's market. I've had their Pear Pancake as well and it was delish!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Skip To Malou- Gastrobus is worth tracking down! I usually enjoy their treats on Sundays at the Los Feliz farmers market. They start serving at 930am.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I wish there was a gastrobus in my neck of the woods; I need those lemon curd pancakes right now!

    ReplyDelete
  16. As a pancake freak, I love this post so much. The blueberry pancakes with the lemon curd look by far the best. And BLD and Square One are my all time favorite breakfast spots in LA.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Jinx! Just last weekend I had blueberry pancakes with lemon curd at a friend's house for brunch. We have such great taste ;)

    ReplyDelete
  18. The pancakes look marvelous. It would be so nice to have a gastrobus in the area where I live. I found your blog by chance, but I be back often to see what is going on.

    ReplyDelete
  19. You have to try the bluebberry pancakes at Jacks N Joe's, in downtown LA, near Figueroa and Adams.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin